I love the way she is looking at Eric as he gently heals her wrist, like he is the best thing since sliced bread.Of course Bill’s eagle eyes takes it all in.
I know a lot of people hated this scene, but I love it because all things being equal with the matching outfits, it becomes glaringly obvious how much better Eric is than Bill.
- Eric is sincere, Bill feigns sincerity.
- Eric is first to show concern for Sookie’s well-being with a tender “does it hurt” and Bill counters with a guttural “if you want us to stop”.
- Eric tells Sookie “thank you”.
- Bill steals Eric’s words.
- Eric displays joy at the prospect that Sookie is choosing him; he declares she won’t be sorry because he’s willing to prove to her that he’s worth the risk, while Bill is smug, unapologetic, and manipulative with his “like I have a choice, you’re the love of my life”.
- Eric is gentle in voice and in touch, Bill is gruff and growls.
- There is a truth and desperation in Eric’s hurt and Bill pretends to be hurt.
- Eric pleads “don’t do this” because he loves her. Bill shows some sadness, but can only muster up “Sookie” and nothing more.
They leveled the playing field and showed us that Eric is the better man.